Brown rice is a less processed form of the whole grain, where only the outer hull has been removed, keeping in tact the essential nutrients and fiber to make it a more nutritionally sound choice versus white rice. Removing the outer layer negates between 50-90% of the vitamins and minerals listed below.
Per cooked cup, brown rice contains:
- 2g essential fats
- 4 g dietary fiber
- 21% RDA Magnesium
- 16% RDA Phosphorus
- 14% RDA B6
- 15% RDA Niacin
- Iron, Calcium, Riboflavin, Copper, Zinc, Potassium
- 216 calories
So, how can you prepare brown rice, so that it is as light and fluffy as white rice? This recipe below is no fail, and will cook perfect brown rice every time, even if you are living at high altitude. AND this option will take only as long to prepare as white rice.
No Fail Brown Rice Recipe
- Bring to a boil in a medium sauce-pan, 8 cups of cool water.
- While water is boiling, rinse 2 cups of brown rice under cold water for 30 seconds.
- Add rinsed rice to boiling water and return to a boil.
- Stir once and reduce to a rolling simmer.
- Cook uncovered for 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain excess water. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Perfect brown rice!
Please visit www.goglutenfreegraefully.com/recipe for delicious recipe options.